Thursday, February 18, 2010

Teaching People How to Treat Us


I recently participated in a show, and to be perfectly honest, when I was packing things to take to the show, I knew I probably hadn't put out my best effort. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased with the quality of the pieces I had made, but I didn't finish up all of the pieces I had hoped to take. I've always valued quality over quantity, so I was still in a good place overall.

I have done this particular show for about a dozen years, and it's always been one of the best I participate in. This time - not so much. The aisles were very crowded together, and it seemed that people couldn't easily maneuver them. Surveying the situation, it quickly became apparent what was going on. Vendors had purchased their required space, which came with 2 six foot tables. Instead of purchasing additional tables from the promoter, they had brought their own from home. There were plastic tubs stacked one on top of the other, with unsightly cloths thrown over them, enabling them to "display" more of their wares. They had all encroached on the aisle space, and had set up card tables in front of their stands to package up sold goods, and again, were partially in the aisle space. These people always bring WAY more than they could possibly sell in day's time.
Some of these shows are set up so that you have no place to stand except in front of your tables, and this show is no exception. Those of us who were working within our allotted space quickly found our space became the new "aisle". People would stop to visit with each other in front of my table space, because there was no other place to go. Strollers ended up being "parked" in front of my table while their owners shopped next door or at the stall across from me. It's difficult to be put in this type of situation, much less be brazen enough to say anything. If, for some miniscule reason, these offenders were to become even slightly interested in my product, I couldn't risk offending them by asking them not to use my space to park or visit in. When someone did show an interest in my products, they didn't know who to ask for help because there were so many people.
As I looked around the room, I saw poster after poster declaring "30% off " prices, "liquidating", "all prices negotiable", "nothing over $20", and by lunchtime - "50 - 75% off". Huh? Is this what it has come to? I traveled over an hour one way to get to this show, made sure my display was nice - pressed linens and all. In the future, I won't lower my standards to blow out my work at bargain prices, bring wrinkled sheets or god forbid, plastic shower curtains as a table cover. I will continue to keep my standards, but I will also let the promoter know how I feel about the show. I'll also mention to her that paying customers brought in goods from their car to hawk to those of us who paid for the privilege. Maybe those of us who are willing to work with our customers but not give away the farm could be placed together in one section of the room. Those who just want to go home with money in their pocket could battle it out next to each other.

We really do teach people how to treat us.


No comments:

Post a Comment